Saturday, January 7, 2012

When in Rome...



I am sure many of my classmates will agree with me when I say Rome is quickly becoming one of my favorite cities. I could very much get used to the constant aroma of fresh gourmet pizza and palm tree lined coblestone streets showcasing rich ancient sites. My roommate Kassi and I joked how Rome reminds us of a combination of NYC (with its fun, lively atmosphere) and Ellicott City (a historical city in Maryland set on a hillside). Of course, neither those cities include vespa drivers shouting out "amore" and "ciao, bella" as they zip by, or scruffy gladiators parading around the Colosseum.

Last night a group of us ventured to Piazza Navona to explore the annual Epiphany Market. We had fun testing our Italian (all locals have been extremely patient and encouring as far as learning their language), endulging in warm donutes drizzled in Nutella (an Italian staple), and simply wandering the square filled with carnival games, Christmas shops, street performers and the Ephiphany witch herself. Be sure to look up the story for details about this popular Italian event!

A presto for now!

*Photo: me and Kassi being the dancers we are in front of the Pantheon




No comments:

Post a Comment